East Cheyenne Gas Storage
East Cheyenne Gas Storage facility is a FERC certified interstate natural gas storage facility located in Logan County Colorado approximately 23 miles north of Sterling, Colorado. The facility is strategically located near the Rockies Express and Trailblazer interstate transmission lines, east of the Cheyenne Hub, and is currently interconnected with Trailblazer Pipeline.
East Cheyenne Gas Storage provides a much needed source for seasonal, daily and intra-day load management on interstate pipelines serving markets throughout the Front Range, West, and Midwest regions. The East Cheyenne Gas Storage field has been designed and built to offer services to utilities, power generators, pipelines, producers and marketers that require storage to meet gas demand peaks that exceed production and long-haul pipeline throughput.
East Cheyenne serves an important role in helping natural gas market participants manage pipeline imbalances and daily and seasonal price volatility.
East Cheyenne started commercial operations in April 2012. The high cycle facility utilizes two depleted reservoirs, known as West Peetz and Lewis Creek. The facility provides natural gas storage services to meet the existing peak day and load growth needs in markets throughout the Midwest and Western U.S. As certificated, the proposed West Peetz storage area would have a total working gas capacity of 22.5 billion cubic feet (Bcf). The facility will have a maximum injection capability of 350 MMCFD and a maximum withdrawal capability of 350 MMCFD at full build-out.
Capabilities for East Cheyenne Gas Storage include:
- Current compression brings injection/withdrawal capacity to over 200 MMCFD and provide expansion of working gas capacity to 15.3 BCF at West Peetz
- Trailblazer Pipeline Company - connected
- Potential - Rockies Express Pipeline, KMIGT, CIG, Xcel, Southern Star and Cheyenne Plains
- Aug 2010 - Received FERC 7c certificate
- Jan 2011 - Received State of Colorado APCD permit
- April 2011 - Received FERC Notice-To-Proceed
- April 2012 - Commenced commercial operations